TÜBİTAK has warned Turkish authorities that the country should be ready against potential cyber attacks and that current studies in Turkey on how to respond to such attacks are insufficient.
The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) has warned Turkish authorities that the country should be ready against potential cyber attacks and that current studies in Turkey on how to respond to such attacks are insufficient.
Ahmet Dikici, a project manager at TÜBİTAK's Research Center for Advanced Technologies on Informatics and Information Security (BİLGEM), said during his presentation at Parliament on Wednesday that 98 percent of data in Turkey is stored digitally, which could be significantly damaged in the event of a cyber attack. Losing the Internet for even two days would severely disrupt daily life in Turkey, Dikici said.
Dikici warned that cyber attacks can take place anywhere in the world at any time. One such attack took place in 2007, when Russian hackers attacked Estonia.
He said there are some efforts to prepare against a potential cyber attack in Turkey, but they are far from sufficient. TÜBİTAK has designated a committee to prepare for a cyber attack in Turkey. A cyber attack drill was performed last year, directed at the websites of public institutions, he added.
Dikici noted that hackers also threaten the security of online media. He said that many countries make investments in cyber security and some, such as China, train young people in cyber security.
Dikici's remarks came during Wednesday's meeting of a parliamentary commission on the Internet.
Accompanying him was another project manager from TÜBİTAK, Müberra Sungur; Telecommunications Directorate (TİB) Internet department head Osman Nihat Şen; and TİB Internet expert, Ömer Boz. Justice and Development Party (AK Party) deputy Necdet Ünüvar heads the commission.
According to Boz's presentation, TİB's website for reporting illegal Internet content, www.ihbarweb.org.tr, has received a total of 496,715 complaints since it was launched in 2007.
These submissions resulted in the removal of roughly 110,000 items from the Internet. Most of the items removed were videos. Sixty percent of all removed content was taken down for being obscene.
Twenty percent of content was removed on the grounds of committing a crime against Atatürk, the founder of the Turkish Republic.
The remaining 20 percent was removed for other reasons. TİB also sent 252,686 emails to warn websites owners of the criteria that defines what TİB considers “harmful content” and to remind them of their legal liability. Boz avoided giving exact numbers regarding the number of websites blocked in Turkey.